Thursday, October 20, 2011

Unique Halloween Costume Ideas: Bring on the glitter


Halloween. One of the days during the year where you can pretend to be someone completely different from yourself. You can be a superhero, a tv character, a superstar, or just about anything your creative little mind can come up with! That’s why I love Halloween! I always bring out the glitter, the feathers, the high heels, and go all out! Last year I was the night sky, and boy was it a simple (and cheap) yet totally glam costume! SO yeah, maybe I take the holiday as an excuse to experiment with crazy eye makeup that I otherwise wouldn't wear on a normal day. And, did I mention glitter? I like it just a little bit...so sue me. 

So this year, I knew I had to do something equally as fun (or better). But it can be so hard to come up with ideas! So I did lots of research, and came upon a bunch of cool costume ideas that I thought I’d share with all of you who maybe still haven’t decided yet what they want to be on this magical night.

1. Black/White Swan
I was so close to doing this costume with my best friend. It’s easy, and it gives you a chance to have lots of fun with eye makeup and feathers. Basically, one of you is the white swan, one of you is the black swan. You can gather inspiration for your costume from the popular film from last year or even the ballet Swan Lake. Go ahead and channel your inner Natalie Portman or Mila Kunis! Just get a simple dress in the appropriate colour. Then glue gun feathers around the bottom of the dress like a skirt. Make a headpiece out of some extra feathers (or buy a cheap one from a costume store, or jewelry store. I keep seeing them everywhere!). Create dramatic eye makeup using glitter, and eyeshadow to match the colour of your dress. And voila! You have a totally rad costume!

Image from American Apparel


2. Angry Birds
 I guess birds must be all the rage this year! I have a friend going as a peacock (also another cool costume idea), and I ended up deciding to go as Angry Birds with 4 of my friends. For those of you who have stayed away from the world of addicting smartphone apps, Angry Birds is a phone game that has taken the world by storm. This is a great group costume idea because there are five different coloured angry birds (Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, and White) plus a few other characters. I saw an angry birds costume online, but it was basically a giant m&m costume with a bird face on the front. So I decided the birds needed a little glamming up. So, for my version of this costume, get a dress in the corresponding bird colour. Then print out the famous angry bird face from your computer. Cut out and then Tape/glue the face to the front of your dress. You can also put the “5 angry birds” logo on the back of the dress. Then, create a headpiece out of matching feathers. Glue some feathers on the back of your dress, and if you have sleeves, along the edges of your sleeves. I’m wearing a one shoulder dress, and am gluing the feathers along the strap. Add a little funky eye makeup, some matching nail poilsuh, and you’re done!

3. Sooki Stackhouse
If you’re a True Blood fan, this is a totally fun costume idea. Dress up in Sookie’s recognizable Merlott’s diner serving outfit. Just get a white t-shirt and screen print on the Merlotts logo. Then, wear black shorts and an apron. Who knows, maybe you’ll even find your own Bill Compton! As a matter of fact, that could make a really cute couples costume.

4. Nicky Minaj
This seems to be a pretty popular costume idea this year. Just research one of your fav outfits of hers, and put your own twist on it. You could definitely get pretty adventurous! Along this same vein, there’s always Katy Perry, Beyonce, Gaga, Ke$sha, etc.

5. Queens of Hearts
If you have 4 friends why not go as the 4 queens of the card deck. Just get a white dress, tape/glue the suit and the Queen image to the front of your dress (can you tell I like getting crafty and sticking things to dresses…). Then make a giant heart/club/spade/diamond and glue it to a headband. You can add glue some glitter to it too if you want to get a little crazy!

6. The Big Bang Theory
If you have a bunch of guy friends, I think this would be a hilariously fabulous group costume. Each of you dress up like one of the characters. You can choose from: Raj, Howard, Leonard, Sheldon, Penny, Amy, Bernadette, and Priya. Each of the characters (especially the guys) have incredibly recognizable styles, so it should be fairly easy to look like them.

Other ideas: Charlie Sheen, Dexter, Charlie’s Angels, a cupcake,

Do you have any costume ideas? What are you going as this year?

1 comment:

  1. hey love. missing you in the blogging world. hope you're fabulous. if you get a sec, i'd love to hear what you think of my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails