Friday, May 18, 2012

Long Weekend Memories


So the long weekend is coming up, and I’m getting pretty pumped! It seems like May 24 is always timed perfectly – it comes right at the moment when I need a few days break. When I was a young,  May 24 was the weekend when my family would take off to Honey Harbour to go boating and fishing all weekend.  We’d spend the weekend water skiing, tubing and swimming (if the cold Canadian weather was nice to us), having ridiculous bonfires, and eating more smores than you would think humanly possible. Okay, so I guess some things never change.

But now that I am an adult one of my favourite past times at the cottage or on long weekends it to try out a new drink receipe!  Drink of choice for these types of weeks are either beer, wine, cooler  (love pomtini) or something vodka based.  A good ceasar to start the day off is always tasty!  You can see some other drinks I would like to try on on my Pinterest Board - Drinks I Want to Try!

I’m thinking this May 24, I’ll break out the Sangria. My friend Anna makes the best Sangria but I might try this recipe and if you have a better one please share!

Canadian Living’s Sangria Recipe:
Quarter, then thinly slice and seed 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 orange and 1 apple or peach into pitcher; add 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar and a generous pinch of salt. Stir. Let stand for at least 1 hour. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) brandy. Stir in 1 bottle (750 mL) of wine, slightly mashing the fruit. Let stand for 30 minutes. Add lots of ice. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

And I love my wine so much I had to get the bottles a cute little accessory to add a surprising dose of style to any get together. I’m drooling over rad wine stoppers like these to save, and keep fresh any leftover wine for drinking later.



My favorite thing about the May 24 weekend, is everyone has their own little traditions. Some people plan a BBQ at home for a bunch of their friends. Some people head up to a cabin or camping, where they like to rough it a little. No hair straighteners, heavy makeup, or heels allowed.

A lot of this:




Rather than this:

 (I wish my room at home was as nice as this cottage bedroom)

Other’s prefer a bit more glam cottage experience. Some flowing wine, maybe a slightly fancier dinner party. With cool platters like these:


(That Brie looks delish)

But it really doesn’t matter what you have planned, as long as you have great company.

Oh, and if you own something ridiculously amazing like this swing, that could probably make your weekend even better. And I might be totally jealous. Care to invite me over? 

image from pinterest

What are your plans for the long weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails