Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Oscars 2012: A little slow...but at least there's the fashion!


Sometimes I feel like the Oscars is a bit like New Years parties…a whole lot of buildup, but somehow you always end up just a little disappointed. This years Oscars was like that New Years when you really, really just wanted to go home and sleep but just couldn’t find a cab. It was a slow, slow wait until the end of the show and the reveal of The Artist as the winner for best picture (and really, was anyone actually surprised?)

I’m not quite sure what my problem was with the Oscars this year. I’m usually not a huge fan of award shows, but managed to sit through the Grammys, the Golden Globes, and the Film Independent Spirit Awards in their entirety. And I have to admit, I was entertained. Sure, I cringed a few times when the intro speeches were beyond awkward, or when Nicky Minaj decided to stage a very very odd exorcism on stage, but generally I enjoyed the show.

Something about the Oscars was just off this year….and I’m not just talking about the misbehaving microphones. As far as film-based award shows go, I’m now a big fan of the Film Independent Spirit Awards (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, check it out next year. Go independent film!)

So here’s my Oscars breakdown in 100 words or less:
-       Billy Crystal needs to update his joke book
-       Rooney Mara has awesome hair and knows it
-       Christopher Plummer is the man and won best supporting actor for Beginners
-       Octavia Spencer won best supporting actress for The Help
-       I wish I was as cool as Emma Stone
-       Meryl Streep won best actress for her portrayal of the famous/infamous Margaret    
        Thatcher and rocked a fabulous gold dress while doing it
-       Jean Dujardin won best actor for The Artist. (I clearly need to see this film pronto)
-       Direction: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist.
-       Music, original score: The Artist.
-       Music, original song: Man or Muppet from The Muppets. (Everyone loves the 
        Muppets)
-       Screenplay, adapted: The Descendants
-       Screenplay, original: Midnight in Paris.
-       Foreign Language: A Separation, Iran.
-       Animated Feature: Rango
-       Art Direction: Hugo.
-       Cinematography: Hugo.

And of course how could I forget the fashion! Personally, I was a bigger fan of the fashion at the Golden Globes (Jessica Alba’s dress was to die for) and the SAGs (Rose Byrne’s totally chic jumpsuit!). But this years Oscars did have a few standouts:

LOVE this entire ensemble on Milla Jovovich. White dresses were popular on the red carpet this year, and Milla's was classy, with just the right amount of sparkle (my favorite combo!). Love the pop of red in her lip colour and the sideswept updo.


image courtesy of justjared

My best friend and I had a disagreement about Michelle William's dress. She absolutely loved it and thought it was a huge step up from some of Michelle's other more matronly outfit choices as of late. I almost love it. The colour is FAB. So young and fresh! I love the ruffle detailing and I'm even okay with the peplum (a detail I usually consider universally unflattering). I think it's the little silver bow. Don't get me wrong, I love a good bow, but I think this one just looks out of place. I think if she wanted to incorporate a bow she should have chosen a small silver necklace with a cute little bow on it. But Michelle is still awesome, bow or no bow.

image courtesy of ibtimes

Emma Stone. Just so elegant. I can't go on about how much I love this dress enough. Emma is all class (with a healthy dose of good humour). I think she looks every bit the hollywood starlet she is.


image courtesy of ibtimes

Three more fabulous white dresses. My favorite by far (and probably one of my favorites of the night) is Guilliana Rancic's. First, I will say, I'm not a fan of her hair. I think it could have looked a lot softer. But this lady is a trooper. She just had a battle with breast cancer and underwent a double masectomy and here she is working that red carpet in a drop dead gorgeous dress. Rooney Mara looks every bit as edgy as she usually does. Her role in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has worked wonders for her sense of style. 

image courtesy of telegraph.co.uk

One ensemble I was disappointed with was Natalie Portman. She looked beautiful and put together but the dress was a bit "prom-y" for my take. Sorry Natalie, I think you fell a little short here. 


image courtesy of just jared

And finally, I don't know how I feel about promoting your soon-to-be-released film on the red carpet but it sure is funny watching someone finally dare to mess up Ryan Seacrest's suit.
Check it out here

what did you think about the oscars this year? Who was your best dressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails