Friday, June 15, 2012

Finding the Happy Medium: Comfort and Style


Things have been crazy busy these last few months (which is awesome!) I do a lot of work from home, so lately I’ve found myself spending lots of time in front of my computer. Working from home has it’s own pros and cons, but I have to say the best things about it are:

a)     I can blast my music (and maybe even dance around a bit) without bothering coworkers. For example, I might just be playing Maroon 5’s “Payphone” right now…It’s a good thing I don’t have coworkers in my house, because they probably would not enjoy my singing. I'm definitely no Adam Lavine.

b)    I can conveniently run downstairs and fix myself a yummy snack whenever (though, when I have leftover party food in the house, this pro can quickly turn into a con)
      Sometimes I like to take a break from work for a bit and whip up something yummy and healthy like Hungry Girl's "Hey Chickie!" orange chicken recipe or the "Ring my Bella" Mushroom Sandwich

c)     I can wear whatever I want.

And so we come to the last pro, and the topic of today’s blog. Clothing (surprise, surprise). The question is: how do you dress comfy without feeling like a total slob? Sure, I may be working at home, but that doesn’t mean I want to lounge around in my PJs until 5pm. But I also don’t want to be wearing a suit all day. I think it’s all about finding a happy medium. Pajamas remind me of relaxation so I find it difficult to focus on work while wearing them. Suits are uncomfortable and  I spend more time squirming than working. If you have ever worked from home you might know where I’m going with this. So what is my trusty at home work uniform? Yoga pants/leggings.



Okay, so maybe I’ve worn them to actual yoga a time or two. But generally I find them to have so many more uses outside the yoga studio. I might go so far as to say they are one of my favorite pieces in my wardrobe.

Now, I’m thinking that What Not to Wear’s Stacy and Clinton might be cringing at this point. Styling leggings is always tricky. They are inherently a bit 80s, so you always have to be a bit careful when choosing what to pair with them or you’ll end up looking like you just exited a time machine, with Cyndi Lauper close behind. So, save the neon for your next tight and bright 80s themed party.

Also, just because leggings are a step up from PJs doesn’t mean they can’t look slobby. Take Ashley Tisdale’s outfit below. I’ll file that in my “Fashion don’ts” mental folder.


It's outfits like this that give leggings such a bad rap.

Leggings obviously aren't appropriate for every work environment (definitely not business or business casual). But for me they're great because I can sit in my chair all day, typing away, and will be comfy cozy. And I'll still be wearing something decently stylish in case I have to run out to the store, the post office, or some other last minute errand (or if the cute delivery man shows up!).

A little legging-spiration from Reese and Rachel:




And a few legging-based outfits designed by yours truly on the oh-so addictive Polyvore:

I'd wear something like this if I felt like looking slightly more put together. I'd just wear the t-shirt inside and then throw on a bright, fun, but pulled together blazer if I had to step out of the house for a bit. 





Out and About




An outfit like this would be great if I thought I would just be in the house all day. A comfy, sheer blouse, light jewelry, and the cute little hearts are sure to put me in a good mood!


Working From Home




My leggings get a lot of use, and no matter how many different outfits I try to create with them, I can sometimes get a bit bored of the same old combos. So I love little clever products like these that add a twist to your trusty old leggings. They're small pieces of patterned fabric that are made to slip over the bottom of your leggings, adding a pop of colour and design and totally changing up your look! I love how they look under a pair of funky boots like this:



Or, I could even see myself wearing these to yoga class or the gym like this:


The colour really brightens my usual gym uniform! 

What do you wear when you're spending the day at home? Are you a leggings fan, or have you seen too many bad outfits and lost hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails