Friday, June 22, 2012

MMVA Weekend: Fab parties, people, and swag


The Orangefish ladies had an extra busy weekend last week full of fabulous people, parties, swag, cocktails, and tunes.

If you live in Toronto and noticed large crowds of tweens running around screaming with J Biebes and Marianas Trench concert t-shirts on, and worse-than-usual traffic congestion on Queen street, then you may have figured out quickly that it was MMVA weekend, one of the most exciting weekends of the year. What I find so interesting and exciting about the weekend isn’t necessarily the awards themselves, but the vibe in the city, especially around the stages in the day or two leading up to the awards.

I got to get a little more involved in the MMVA celebrations this year because Orangefish took part in the VOCAB gifting lounge Saturday night. When I heard I was getting the opportunity to participate in the lounge, the first thing I thought was “ah! What am I going to wear? New dress?” then once that initial girly reaction had subsided, I had to start thinking about all the finer details of the event like who would be there, what products we should give out as swag, how would we organize the shift schedule for the day, etc. (but don’t worry, my outfit choice was still at the top of my mind).


So, I picked out a fabulous new dress, accessorized with some statement jewellery (from orangefish of course!) and my go-to lotus ring, and spent the days leading up to the event super busy organizing all the details.

We got to the event, and even though we were a bit early, the place was already buzzing with energy, with lots of well-dressed people running around with swag from David’s tea, Mellycakes, Chocola Chocola, Gafas Optical shop, Lip Labz, and Wendy Ding. We set up our little station and soon people started arriving. We gave out lots of great swag including one of our faves, the personal alarm, to ward off any stalker-y/dangerous creepers our female celebs might encounter. Celebs like Aleesia, Samantha Munroe, Cory Lee and Melinda Shankar all loved their new swag!

A huge hit at the event was the USB sticks. Everyone adored the star wars themed and Hello Kitty themed designs. If I could give an MVP award to one, I'd give it to the C3PO design, because his shiny coat just seemed to attract everyone. Oooh shiny things!


Some highlights of the night included chatting with Nikki Johnson from The Dancers of Toronto about Toronto's dance scene, talking to the very personable blogger Casie Stewart, Musician Ricky J's claim that the lotus ring marbles can be used as weapons by angry girlfriends, discussing epic searches for the perfect dress with Samantha Munroe, and catching up with people we met at the Stylus awards just a few weeks back like Rachel David, Aleesia, and DJ Mastermind. Of course, in between chatting with party-goers, and maybe snacking on a few of chocola chocola's chocolate covered goodies, I was busy on Twitter and Instagram, social networking it up!

Check out a few fab photos form the event:

          






Lucy, our favourite pink mannequin! 













Not only were we busy with the MMVA weekend celebrations, but also with the Divas in the City Event that took place last thursday night. It was a great event where lots of young, female entrepreneurs got together for cocktails, shopping, and insightful advice from experts in beauty, health, fashion, relationships, networking, and even money. I had a great time - and that's not just because I ended up buying a fabulous dress while there (though I did...). 

While at the Divas in the City event the one thing that kept coming to mind was, "Wow! These girls are fit and fab" Diva Girls is also a fitness company that specializes in programs like BollyFit, Jazz, Sexy Bootcamp, and belly dancing. All the classes, even the abs or butt classes are all about making you feel sexy and empowered while working out. I love that message! I totally snagged myself one of their DVDs, and i'm cyber-creeping their workout clothing line. I may just have to get myself one of those braid tanks for my next trip to the gym, because you said you can't sweat and look fashionable at the same time! And that white dress really makes me want to start playing tennis, just so I can rock it on the court...maybe i've found a new hobby??

Just hooked: Check out the workout clothes and DVDs on Orangefish.ca!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails