Just in time for the slight gas price decrease, the long weekend is here! May Two-Four, also known as “open the cottage weekend”, is the perfect way to kick off the summer! If you’re form the GTA, it looks like our recent rainy streak might just clear up in time for you to hit the cottage and try out your boat, hammock, or bbq.
Here’s my guide to surviving the long weekend:
Of course, I couldn’t help but start with this. Sure, for many May 24 is about relaxing, catching some rays, sipping a corona, and eating a healthy dose of bbq chicken. But who says comfy and casual can’t be stylish too! First, you don’t have to wear heels to be stylish. Comfort comes first! So pack a cute pair of flats or sandals if the weather is warm enough. Throw in your fav pair of blue jeans, a comfy tee, a cute jacket, some simple stud earrings, and you’re ready! Keep it simple and chic!
Food and Drink:
Lots of grilling, salads, and easy to make summer foods make up the perfect spread for the long weekend. Who wants to stay inside cooped up by the stove when you could be enjoying the sunshine.
I found this amazing BLT salad recipe that is super simple and extra delish. So why not turn your fav sandwich into your fav salad!
All you need is:
• 12 ounces corkscrew-shaped pasta
• 1/2 cup milk
• 12 ounces lean bacon
• 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup sour cream
• 5 heads Bibb lettuce, quartered, or 5 cups chopped romaine hearts
To cook, basically cook the pasta, cook the bacon, and mix everything together! This is a nice treat for a fun weekend!
Of course there’s the usual bbq meat. By I also love putting a twist on typical grill fare. I love to throw some fish on the barby for a healthy and delicious alternative. Bobby Flay makes a great fish taco recipe that is fun for the whole family. Everyone gets to customize their own taco with their fav toppings! I like a little guac, coleslaw, tomatoes, lime, and chipotle mayo on mine.
For drinks, you can’t really beat a cold corona and lime on a nice spring weekend. But if you’re not a beer person, there’s always a refreshing mojito, or even a Belini. For Belinis just puree your favorite fruit with ice in a blender. Add a tiny bit of sugar and a good helping of champagne. Easy, but oh so good.
Finally, there’s entertainment.
Volleyball, badminton, frisbee football, boating, fishing, and poker are all great ways to get the whole gang involved and having fun. Another great game, and one of my personal favs is a drawing game. This is how it works:
- everyone gets a piece of paper and a pen.
- Each person writes down a random phrase on the top of their piece of paper and then passes it to the person on their left
- That person then tries to draw something that describes that phrase
- Then they fold over the top part of the paper so it covers the phrase but still shows the drawing. They pass the paper to the person on their left
- That person then tries to write a phrase that describes the drawing they see. Then they fold over the top so it covers the drawing. Pass it to the left
- And so it continues until the whole paper is filled (so write/draw pretty small!)
This game is sure to get some laughter going!
What are your plans for the long weekend? Are you heading to the cottage? Enjoying your time off chilling at home?