Thursday, March 15, 2012

Planning a European Adventure - From Hairstyles to Safety


So Spring is slowly but surely creeping up on me, and so I’m getting closer and closer to the day I leave for my oh-so-fabulous Europe trip. I’ve got my hotels and flight booked, my list of must-see museums and art galleries, and of course every time I go shopping I just end up adding a new scarf, shirt, or dress to my European wardrobe (at this rate, I’m going to need a bigger bag!) Those are the fun things to plan for when going away. But then there’s always the not-so-fun things including budget (blech!), travel insurance, and overnight trains. One of my best friends is going on a business trip around the same time  I leave for my Europe trip, and despite the fact that our experiences are going to be quite different (backpacking vs. corporate conference) we still share some of the same thrills and woes of planning a trip. Yes, I’ll admit that I’ve gone so far as to researching creative hairstyles appropriate for humid climates (wearing long hair down is just a recipe for disaster in the Italian heat).


Images courtesy of Pinterest

Can you tell I’ve been spending a lot of time on Pinterest. I also happen to be watching quite a large number of Hollywood films set in Europe. This has, of course, not helped my addiction to looking for pinterest hairstyles because, no matter what shenanigans the characters get into, their hair ALWAYS looks perfect! How do they do that?! Oh right…they sit in a chair for hours with a team of hairstylists.

So I was talking about watching all these films with my friend and she gave me a list of films NOT to watch. She said watching any of these films (including Taken with Liam Neeson) would just freak me out, and make me not want to be adventurous in Europe. And that kind of got me thinking…I’d been spending so much time worrying about my wardrobe and hair, but I hadn’t really considered something as simple as safety. I have no interest in being paranoid just because some movie plot was freaky. But I do think it is an empowering feeling to know that you’re prepared – no matter what! So I set about looking for handy gadgets made for traveling women and stumbled upon this fabulous line of stylish safety products. Yep…you read that right! Apparently now even safety devices can be totally cute! I couldn’t be happier!

The first thing I picked up was one of these. Believe it or not, they’re personal alarms! Clip it to the outside of your purse, and if you ever feel endangered, just pull the string and the alarm will emit a piercing female scream.


A similar personal alarm comes in a keychain form to clip onto your keys. This is especially great if you live or work in a large building where you have to walk through underground parking lots (those things are freaky!)

Another awesome gadget I picked up was this door wedge alarm. This is perfect if you’re ever traveling in a hotel that maybe makes you a little nervous or even if you’re home alone and want to feel a bit more secure in your bedroom. Just slip the door wedge under the door, and if anyone tries to get in it will sound an alarm and also keep the door shut at the same time. And the fun colours and design make it part of your décor as well! Now you don’t have to worry about staying up all night, waking up to the slightest noises. You need your beauty sleep so you can enjoy everything the next day has to offer. You really can’t put a price on a good, comforting sleep and peace of mind.

So now, I have 2 months left to go and I’ve got my clothes and hairstyles figured out, my sightseeing list planned out, and my personal safety covered! Bring it on Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails